Call Menu

Willing A House

What happens if my spouse dies, has a will leaving the house to children, yet we are both titled owners of our house?

When a married couple owns a house, they ordinarily take such property as tenants by the entirety. In simple terms, they are joint tenants with rights of survivorship, meaning that if one spouse dies, the surviving spouse takes ownership of the entire property (i.e. fee interest) by this right of survivorship. This scenario is one Read on…