Call Menu

Driving Without Insurance

Driving Without Insurance Attorney on Long Island

Are you facing charges of driving without insurance on Long Island, New York?

In the State of New York, it is mandatory that any registered vehicle within the state carries automobile insurance. Furthermore, there are minimum amounts of liability insurance required to cover both property damage and bodily injury. In addition, the vehicle must be insured for “no-fault”, uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverage (SUM).

Often clients who contact the Nassau County traffic attorneys at the Law Offices of Michael W. Alpert do so because they received violations for driving with a suspended license, driving with a suspended registration, and driving without insurance. The failure to have insurance on an automobile will often trigger the other two violations. A violation of VTL 319-1 (uninsured motorist) is often the result of a lapse in coverage due to failure to pay insurance premiums. It is not the responsibility of DMV to notify you that you have not paid your insurance premium, and often insurance companies will not automatically send letters that failure to pay will result in a suspension of one’s driver’s license and/or registration.

The consequences for pleading guilty to Driving without Insurance in New York are quite serious. The most serious of these consequences is the automatic revocation of your license by DMV for a period of one year. In addition to the mandatory court fines and surcharges (which can total approximately $1,000.00), the DMV will impose their own mandatory Driving Assessment Fee of $750.00 (which can be paid $250/year over a three year period).

How To Get Your New York ‘Driving With No Insurance’ Ticket Dismissed

If your vehicle was insured on the day you received the ticket for “no insurance” on Long Island or in the New York area (possibly due to your failure to provide insurance card), you can have this ticket dismissed based on proof that the vehicle was insured on the date of the alleged violation. It is important to note that you will need an original letter from your insurance carrier (not the agent) which states that the vehicle (VIN number must be provided) was insured on the date of the violation and that there have been no lapses in coverage during the period of insurance coverage. The insurance companies are well versed with the nature of this letter and the contents to include therein.

Should you have any questions and require the services of an experienced Long Island Traffic Attorney, please contact the Law Offices of Michael W. Alpert at (516) 280-7288 or e-mail at